Saturday 4 April 2020

Unexpected Pet!!!

Last year for Christmas (2019), I got 2 pet Fish and a Snail so He could eat some of the algae. I got a Black Moor and just a plain Goldfish, the snail I got had the shape of a garden snail. The next year (2020) My snail died in the month of January, very sad but strange! My question was How did He die?
No one in my family is snail experts so we just called him a boy. His name was Sampson. But a while after he died My Black Moor Died in February from bladder disorder infection😢. One month Later My poor Goldfish Rocky is still alone at least we thought he was. It was just the normal morning and I got up to feed him fish flakes. After I fed him I was watching him eat when I saw a black dot at the top of the fish tank at first I didn't worry about it but then I went and told my sister and she said it was probably fish poo but I know the fish poo isn't that big. So I went and got Mum and asked her if snails lay eggs. She didn't think so, so I asked her to come and look at the black dot. It had like a swirly cone shape at the end. Then we thought about it after we looked at the  swirl and I said "Sampson Must have been a girl!!! It turns out she was a girl after all. I searched up online "how many eggs can snails lay" and it said hundreds. So Rocky was actually spending a minute or to under the rock sometimes which he doesn't normally do. So I decided that he must have been eating the eggs. Now I know the answer to my question How did she die? because she laid eggs Did you know that snails could lay eggs?

4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Elizabeth,
    An unexpected pet would have been such a fantastic surprise to find, and I can only imagine how exciting it must have been to find out Sampson was actually a girl!
    Having her die so early on must have been such a sad experience, however she left you a gift to look after, and I believe you will do just that!
    When did you first realise there was a baby snail in the tank?
    I was a little bit confused as to how your snail could have laid eggs when there was only that one snail in the tank. I did some research about snails and their eggs, and found out that freshwater snails (which I assume was the type you had) can lay eggs all by themselves.
    You mentioned how snails can lay hundreds of eggs at a time, so it will be interesting to see if any more baby snails appear. That is, if Rocky hasn’t eaten them already!
    Have you given the new baby snail a name? If so, what is it?
    Keep up the great work!
    Nga mihi

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very unexpected.
    Leo my son had a pet rat when he was your age. He used to read to it every night. Her name was Ruby.
    We then got a rat for Johanna and it was a girl so we put them in the same cage. But yes you guessed it......little baby rats came along. We didn't know that she was pregnant when she came from the pet shop. We were cleaning out their wee house and out fell all these very tiny pink rats!. We all screamed. We raised them and gave them to the pet shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lizzie, that was a surprise...bit of a change from the ones the cat brings in...I bet mum was pleased! Its good that you searched up online to find out, I bet you now know heaps more about snails than before.What is the difference between water snails and land snails? Mrs M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it was a nice surprise to find that little snail in there Elizabeth. I now wonder if there were any more and the fish ate them when they were little. Or are there some hiding that we have not found yet?

    Naomi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful comment.